Tom’s practice encompasses a wide variety of complex disputes, often involving an international element. Tom works with lawyers across jurisdictions to achieve successful results for his clients.
Tom has particular experience in global asset-tracing and recovery through freezing orders and cross-border enforcement of judgments, shareholder disputes, contested probate, insolvency, property disputes, costs, employment, and arbitration.
Case highlights include:
- Acting on behalf of an international commodities trading business for recovery of sums stolen by email-compromise fraud, utilising worldwide freezing injunction and disclosure orders and enforcement across multiple overseas jurisdictions;
- Acting for a high-net worth individual against a firm of solicitors to recover funds from sham transactions to purchase high-performance vehicles;
- Acting for the Estate of a well-known figure in the entertainment industry in a dispute over the validity of a will, with associated copyright ownership issues;
- Advising on the defence of a claim from a non-married partner for a beneficial interest in a property arising from contributions towards a mortgage;
- Assisting a political figure in respect of a complaint to the European Court of Human Rights;
- Successfully resolving a claim against a firm of solicitors for professional negligence and excessive fees;
- Advising an individual on employment-related claims for unpaid salary, equity and bonuses, together with jurisdictional issues arising from parallel proceedings in Cyprus;
- Acting in arbitration proceedings relating to the recover of funds due under a joint-venture agreement;
- Acting in a company ownership dispute in respect of a company limited by guarantee, which centred on an allegation that the company secretary had produced fraudulent board minutes; and
- Settling a claim (shortly after issuing proceedings) for fees due under a property development agreement.