Richard specialises in substantial, high-value commercial disputes, especially complex cross-border shareholder and M&A disputes, as well as contentious trust matters acting both for beneficiaries and trustees. Cited by Legal 500 UK as a “key lawyer”, he has broad experience of litigation in the English Courts and experience of ICC, LCIA and DIFC-LCIA arbitrations, including enforcement proceedings in England and overseas. Richard has particular expertise in matters relating to alleged breaches of shareholders’ agreements and other joint venture documentation, as well as warranty and indemnity claims arising out of breach of contract.
Richard also has significant experience advising on matters with connections to, and in the Courts of, off-shore common law jurisdictions such as the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey, including appellate courts up to and including the Privy Council.
Richard has long-term experience in the resolution of disputes concerning the extractive industries, particularly those in Africa and Latin America. He has also worked on numerous disputes arising out of lending secured on residential and commercial property in England and overseas.
A solicitor-advocate, Richard has acted as sole counsel both before the High Court and in LCIA arbitral proceedings. Richard was appointed to sit as a Deputy District Judge on the South Eastern Circuit in September 2021.
His recent cases include:
- Representing an international entrepreneur in his successful defence of attempts by a lender to enforce its security over a property in France valued at in excess of £50 million, involving Chancery Division proceedings in London and multiple sets of proceedings in Paris;
- Representing an HKSE and ASX listed mining company in proceedings in the Commercial Court and Court of Appeal in relation to alleged breaches of a tax indemnity and tax warranties contained in a sale and purchase agreement, and alleged breaches of separate deeds of indemnity. One set of Commercial Court proceedings included two successfully contested applications for specific disclosure;
- Representing an oil supermajor in an ICC arbitration concerning its acquisition of an interest in an exploration block offshore West Africa;
- Representing an oilfield services company in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration concerning seismic acquisition in the Arabian Gulf;
- Advising a Swiss-Israeli individual in an LCIA arbitration relating to a breach of contract claim arising out of the arrangement of financing for a large mining project in west Africa. Richard acts as sole advocate in this matter, successfully defending an applications for early determination and security for costs;
- Advising a state owned oil and gas corporation in connection with disputes arising out of a sale and purchase agreement, including a challenge to the jurisdiction of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands;
- Representing the owner of a controlling stake in Turkey’s leading mobile phone operator before the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (High Court in the Territory of the Virgin Islands, Court of Appeal and Privy Council) concerning the enforcement of a Swiss arbitral award as well as two related consolidated LCIA arbitrations relating to alleged breaches of joint venture arrangements under a shareholders’ agreement and articles of association. This matter concluded with a multi-billion dollar settlement involving five parties.
- Advising various UHNWIs in relation to disputes with trustees of trusts in which they hold beneficial interests, involving issues arising in Jersey, Guernsey, the Isle of Man, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, the Cayman Islands and the British Virgin Islands, as well as England;