Richard specialises in substantial, high-value commercial disputes, especially complex cross-border shareholder and M&A disputes, as well as contentious trust matters. Cited by Legal 500 UK as a “key lawyer”, he has broad experience of litigation in the English Courts and experience of ICC, LCIA and DIFC-LCIA arbitrations, including enforcement proceedings in England and overseas. Richard has particular expertise in matters relating to alleged breaches of shareholders’ agreements and other joint venture documentation, as well as warranty and indemnity claims arising out of breach of contract.
Richard has significant experience advising on matters with connections to, and in the Courts of, off-shore common law jurisdictions such as the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands, the Isle of Man, Jersey and Guernsey, including appellate courts up to and including the Privy Council.
His recent cases include:
- Representing an HKSE and ASX listed mining company in proceedings in the Commercial Court and Court of Appeal in relation to alleged breaches of a tax indemnity and tax warranties contained in a sale and purchase agreement, and alleged breaches of separate deeds of indemnity. One set of Commercial Court proceedings included two successfully contested applications for specific disclosure;
- Representing an oil supermajor in an ICC arbitration concerning its acquisition of an interest in an exploration block offshore West Africa;
- Representing an oilfield services company in a DIFC-LCIA arbitration concerning seismic acquisition in the Arabian Gulf;
- Advising a state owned oil and gas corporation in connection with disputes arising out of a sale and purchase agreement, including a challenge to the jurisdiction of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands;
- Representing a Turkish conglomerate in two consolidated LCIA arbitrations relating to alleged breaches of joint venture arrangements under a shareholders’ agreement and articles of association;
- Representing the owner of a controlling stake in Turkey’s leading mobile phone operator before the Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (High Court in the Territory of the Virgin Islands, Court of Appeal and Privy Council) concerning the enforcement of a Swiss arbitral award. These proceedings included the successful defence of an application for appointment of a receiver;
- Advising a Dutch bank and its Russian subsidiary in relation to potential insolvency proceedings against a debtor in the High Court of Justice in the Isle of Man and associated injunctive relief.