A renowned litigator, Mark has been involved as lead partner in some of the largest and most complex cases before the English courts. Mark acts for high-net-worth individuals, major corporates and their directors, hedge funds and insolvency practitioners.
Mark’s areas of focus include high value fraud, asset tracing, contentious trusts, contractual and warranty disputes, shareholder disputes and contentious insolvency. He has extensive experience of executing and advising on injunctions, including freezing and search orders.
Many of Mark’s cases involve cross-border issues and proceedings in other jurisdictions. He has particular expertise in litigation originating in Russia, CIS and the Middle East.
Mark is consistently recognized as a leading individual by all of the top legal directories. Chambers UK has described Mark as: “enormously capable” and “exceptionally good with clients”; “a fearless litigator” with “relentless determination”; and having an “unswerving commitment to putting his clients in as strong a position as possible”.
Mark is a solicitor-advocate with full rights of audience in the higher courts.
Mark’s cases include:
- Defending the corporate vehicles of an international businessman against a $200 million claim for alleged misappropriation of funds. The case raised issues of reflective loss and the ability of a shareholder to obtain a freezing injunction on behalf of the company
- Acting for one of the largest property development companies in the Middle East and a Bahraini investment bank in $1 billion Commercial Court proceedings for conspiracy to blackmail, breach of confidence and other claims. The case, which settled on confidential terms, involved committal proceedings, related proceedings in the US and Middle East and numerous appeals
- Acting for an international law firm in its successful claim for a multi-million pound success fee against the trustees of an insolvent estate
- Acting for a Russian oligarch in his multi-billion dollar claims against his former business partners for, among other things, breach of contract and breach of trust arising out of the privatisation and consolidation of the Russian oil and aluminium sectors
- Acting for the monarch of a Middle Eastern country in a significant High Court action concerning allegations of breach of trust, which settled on confidential terms
- Successfully defending a FTSE 100 company against substantial claims of fraud and breach of contract